Friday, January 1, 2016

My reading life in 2015

2015 was a busy year for me and busy in mostly really good ways. However, busy and reading are not the best combination so I really did struggle to get under the wire with my annual #52books52weeks goal this year.

My Reads of 2015

Fiction
Caroline Kneps, You
Edan Lepucki, California
Emily St. John Mandel, Station Eleven
Justin Torres, We the Animals
Donna Tartt, The Goldfinch
Priya Parmar, Vanessa and Her Sister
Elizabeth Strout, Olive Kitteridge
Jessie Burton, The Miniaturist
Miriam Toews, All My Puny Sorrows
Jenny Erpendeck, The End of Days
Jill Alexander Essenbaum, Hausfrau
Holly LeCraw, The Half Brother
Akhil Sharma, Family Life
Megan Abbott, Dare Me
Lev Grossman, The Magicians
Susan Minot, Thirty Girls
James Salter, Light Years
Lauren Groff, Arcadia
Josh Weil, The Great Glass Sea
Hanya Yanagihara, A Little Life
Ruth Galm, Into the Valley
Eimear McBride, A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing
Mohsin Hamid, How To Get Filthy Rich In Rising Asia
Jonathan Franzen, Purity
Bill Clegg, Did you ever have a family
Lauren Groff, Fates and Furies
Anne Tyler, A Spool of Blue Thread
Emma Healey, Elizabeth is Missing
Elisa Albert, After Birth
Kim Thuy, Man
David Nicholls, Us
Henry James, Washington Square
Jami Attenberg, Saint Mazie
A. L. Tait, The Mapmaker Chronicles

Short Stories
Mia Alvar, In the Country

Australian Fiction
Graeme Simsion, The Rosie Project
Christos Tsiolkas, Barracuda
Sophie Laguna, The Eye of the Sheep
Mireille Juchau, The World Without Us

Non-fiction & Memoir
Jon Krakauer, Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town
Robert D. Putnam, Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis
Cheryl Strayed, Wild
Laurie Penny, Unspeakable Things: Sex, Lies and Revolution
Mona Eltahawy, Headscarves and Hymens: Why the Middle East needs a sexual revolution
Ta-Nehisi Coates, Between the World and Me
Mary-Louise Parker, Dear Mr. You
Vivian Gornick, The Odd Woman and the City
Maggie Nelson, The Argonauts
Alice Hoffman, Survival Lessons

Poetry
Fanny Howe, Second Childhood
Edward Hirsch, Gabriel
Marie Howe, The Kingdom of Ordinary Time

I love working out my reading stats, so here are some for this year:
75% fiction.
70% of authors women.
Only 4 books were by Australian authors (far too few).
8 memoirs (or hard to categorize but memoir comes closest).
82% of the books were by authors I had not read before.
I read two novels by one author because she is so great: Lauren Groff's 'Arcadia' and 'Fates and Furies'.
I read only one classic, Henry James' 'Washington Square'.
My reading was split almost 50/50 between paper and e-book formats.

I had a chat with an acquaintance on the last day of 2015 who has noticed that I really do like to read. I told him about my annual 52 books goal and he loved the concept so much he committed to reading a book a month in 2016.

Wishing you a 2016 that is filled with people you love (and no doubt you will find some of those people inside the pages of books),

Michelle x 

No comments:

Post a Comment